Wednesday, November 9, 2016

What's your American dream?

When I woke up this morning I knew it wasn't going to be to good news.

I've had overwhelming anxiety for months. The worst has happened.

I loved my Grandpa and I still do.. but I knew he was racist. When I was little I remember playing a Barbie makeover computer game and it had an African American Barbie. I remember putting ugly makeup on her because I thought she was ugly. I'm ashamed of that. I also remember an occasion that I was watching a TV show with my grandpa and I made fun of the host who happened to be Asian. I thought he would be proud. But He told me that was wrong, that was being "racist" I thought to myself, how could he be mad at me for something he does all the time? I had to have been 5 years old at the time and I think that's when it occurred to me.
This behavior is taught. These thoughts are an infection that adults give to their children. This is how it keeps spreading.

its 2016 people. Mexicans are not rapist, or drug smugglers. There are rapists and drug smugglers in this world, yes.. but they aren't just Mexican, they white and black and every other race under the sun.

Good people come in all colors, all shapes and sizes, from all religions, sexuality and any other form a human comes. Same goes for bad people.

Its not the color of your skin that makes you, it you that makes you. Your thoughts, your actions, your words.

Another thing my grandpa would tell me is to "bat my eyelashes" so I could get a man and to marry for money and not for love.
Like I need to sell myself to a man to be OK. Now I have a boyfriend whom I love very much. But he would never expect anything from me to do anything for me. Same goes for him. He will have my love and respect for his love and respect. that's why I love him. because he respects ME. He respects my body and he respects my thoughts and feelings as a HUMAN. I do the same for him.

I'm just so sick and tired of this world. I'm so sick and tired of people thinking that its ok to hate someone for the color of their skin, their nationality, their sexuality, their gender or if they have a disability. We are all human.

I'm sick of women who think they have to sexualize themselves for attention, for power. Who think to be successful is to marry some man for money, not for love. That they can be treated with disrespect and be hurt and that they have no other options in the world.

I'm sick of men who think that they can treat women however they feel. That they can grab them and treat them like play things.

I'm sick of peole who have no respect for other peoples religion. Am I religious? No. Does that make me want to stop people from going to church, or believing what they want? No. 

Whats wrong is thinking that you can control people and fit them in a box of what you think people should be.

I'll admit, I have been privileged. but I have faced struggled. I'm a type 1 diabetic who has to fight to live everyday.

I may not be gay, but I care if they lose their right to marry whom they choose. I've looked out of my perspective and imagined myself in someone who was gay shoes. I care because I want them to be able to. I want people not to live in fear that they might not have the right to marry. I want to know if one of my future children turns out to be gay, that they have the right to marry the one they love. It may not affect me personally now, but it might. and honestly I don't care if it ever affects me personally or not. I will stand up for this right.

I may not be religious but I believe that everyone should have the right to practice what they want. Someone told me this country was based on "Christian" values. Maybe so.. but the founding fathers were escaping religious prosecution. So why would Christians do this to any other religion? Religion doesn't make you good person, but it doesn't make you bad. I Will fight for the right so people can believe what they want. It doesn't personally affect me but I still care.

I will fight for people like me who have a health problems, to be able to get what they need. This affects me personally and it affects many of my loved ones personally. I don't care what the health problem is. We deserve to be able to fight for our lifes. We should be able to be given every advantage of a healthy person. because I know I didn't choose this disease. so why be punished?

I will fight for women who think they have to give themselves up for success. for money. Because you don't. because I care if someone needs to feel important or loved. I care that they have to lower themselves down to try and obtain that. I care because I don't want that to have to be me, or more importantly my daughter. I want women to know that they are just the same as men, they can obtain the same things, if they want.

So whats my American dream? To live in a world where people can respect each other. Where we don't have to intervene our children before they get infected with hate. Where we can look through the color of skin, to just take it for what it is, skin. to respect peoples beliefs and value ours. To respect ourselves. To not have to live in a state of fear because someone who can speak so blatanly against this can obtain power.

My American dream is to respect those who live differently, to be respected for how I live. I want to be married, live comfortably and have a family. I want my kids to grow up and be educated and respect people for who they are and what they believe in, even if its different from their own.

I don't care if you want to have guns, I don't care if you want to marry the same sex, I don't care who you pray to, if you even pray at all. I care if you're happy. I care if you're living your American dream. I'm not sorry for being passionate or upset about the outcome of this election. because I live in fear that my American dream won't come true. It's already crumbled to a million pieces.



No comments:

Post a Comment